Friday, December 14, 2012

What CAN You Do?


When our hearts break over such enormous tragedies, we start to feel helpless to change things and make the world a better place.

We can't fix everything. We really want to, but we can't.

What we can do is control our own space. Don't laugh, I know it feels like you can't do that, either. My finals week is over, and my house looks like an episode of hoarders. Still, I can control how people feel when they are residents and guests of my home. I have the power to make sure my own universe is one of peace, acceptance, companionship, and love. It feels like that is not enough, but it is.

This is where we feminist mothers come from. We are fierce defenders of our space and the people who enter that space. We see the ability to change the world within the walls of our own home. We reject that homemaking and committing to motherhood is a downgrade, putting life on hold, a waste of our educations and skills. We know it is much more than that. We have such power, such influence, shaping other human beings, making a haven for the people we love the most.

Our homes are where we reject the violence, greed, and madness of the world around us, and stand our ground. I cannot save all the children, but I can save mine. I cannot feed all who are hungry, but I can nourish my own. I cannot heal all the sick, visit all the lonely, lift up all who mourn or struggle, but I can be the healer and comforter of the children in my care. I can smother mine in kisses when I cannot kiss the whole world.

And I do.

The way we raise our children.

1 comment: