Friday, May 11, 2012

If you should wean them when they can ask for it....

...what about when they can ask for your iPod, demand that you join them in bed, and skillfully play Angry Birds while breastfeeding? Is that too long to breastfeed, then? 


Because apparently a lot of people think this new cover from Time Magazine of a mom breastfeeding her three year old son is disgusting and bound to ruin him for life.


And by "a lot of people" I mean "a lot of ignorant Americans with pervy views on sexuality," because Americans are actually in the minority for cutting off breastfeeding so young, not the other way around.

"Though some online are calling it "perverted" and "dangerous" to nurse a 3-year-old, "It's normal for our species. It's not perverted; it's not sex; it's not women doing it for some perverse need. It's normal like a nine-month pregnancy is normal," says Katherine Dettwyler, a professor of anthropology at the University of Delaware in Newark, Del."
Breast-feeding a 3-year-old is normal, anthropologist says
By Elizabeth Weise, USA TODAY 

I'm just going to end this post here. I don't need to defend breastfeeding my own son until he is 4, and I certainly don't have the patience to engage anyone in persuasive debate on something that should be a non-issue.

1 comment:

  1. My youngest was playing with my friend's iPad at 18 months. Guess I should have weaned her then, huh? *snort*

    ReplyDelete